Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dogs with Fleas and Other Words of Wisdom

Ask me what statement affected my teenage years more than any other and I'm torn between two.

"If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas."
or it's sibling, "Play with fire, and you're gonna get burnt."  
Both these were regularly injected at mysterious intervals, accompanied by a quiet, penetrating gaze.  Often they were backed up with "You're a Big Girl Now.  You'll know what to do."   Considering my father was offering these words of wisdom to an animal loving, teenage pyromaniac, they were probably the right choice.

More than 30 years later, the words hold even more power.  Because I know Dad was right.  Or rather, IS right.  Now, I'm saying it.

It got me thinking.  Doesn't everything in life have potential to shape, mould, nip, burn, irritate, warm, or even pull down and destroy us, if we let it?  And that's the key.  We choose how it affects us.   Not IF, but HOW.

1Thessalonians 5:15-18  And be careful that when you get on each other's nerves you don't snap at each other. Look for the best in each other, and always do your best to bring it out.  Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. (The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment